Friday, November 30, 2018
In this thanksgiving season, we have all been spending a lot of time reflecting on what we are thankful for—family, friends, pets, my new allbirds. I am very thankful I have had the opportunity to take a few days off of work and spend time with my loved ones. Near the top of my thankful list has been ACCED-I, and the opportunity to serve in leadership for the organization, where I have had the opportunity to collaborate, debate, work with, and be inspired by some of the best in the field. So in this thanksgiving season, I have put together my top 10 list of ACCED-I things to be thankful for:
10. Annual Conference. I know I have time away from the office, just as it gets hectic, to garner enough energy to head into my busy season. Attending the Annual Conference gets me through my summer just like drinking a 4-shot espresso can get me through a 16-hour day!
9. Mapping out where the nearest casino is to said conference location with some of my conference buddies. (You know who you are)
8. The ability to take new information regarding the events industry to my boss and let them know that we are on top of it! (Highlight-letting my division CFO know we were not PCI compliant thanks to a session I attended and follow-up conversation with a colleague)
7. Spontaneous nights out at an ACCED-I meeting with colleagues. All-time best was this year when Mary Kay Baker and I were able to purchase Hamilton tickets an hour before the show at the Educational Forum in Chicago!
6. The opportunity to challenge myself by presenting at a conference.
5. THE MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY! I USE IT ALL THE TIME! Thank goodness for a generous search feature-that is forgiving of my typos!
4. I am thankful for the ACCED-I staff. I could go into the many reasons here why I am thankful for the awesome people who work at HQ, but most recently for resetting my password to login when my laptop was wiped and my password wasn’t auto-saved.
3. Atlanta Drive-Ins. Every year, the whole Atlanta crew tries to get together and connect—it is always such a wonderful time with some truly special people. I love my local colleagues!
2. The stories. As Conference and Event professionals, boy do we have good stories of our campus happenings. There are many that I have told and re-told.
1. It’s you. The people-the friendships, the trips outside of work to visit colleagues that have become friends that have become family-who are all there to support me in work and in life all of these years. I am most thankful for you!
||Sherry Ebrahimi, CCEP, is the ACCED-I Board of Directors President for 2018-2019. She is the Director of University Conferences at Emory University in Atlanta, GA. Sherry can be reached at (404) 727-0429 or firstname.lastname@example.org.