Executive Director's Message
Monday, May 18, 2020
“Change is the only constant in life” – as many times as I have heard this quote, I have to admit that I needed to look up the individual that said it. It was Heraclitus of Ephesus, a Greek philosopher who was known to his contemporaries as the ‘dark philosopher’ because his writings were difficult to understand. And while many of his writings probably were very hard to understand, the simplicity of his statement on change is eternal and universal. Change is with us every day in little ways – the weather, our mood, the rhythms of the people around us – and sometimes, like now, change is with us in very big, unmissable, sometimes overwhelming ways.
In times of uncertainty, it’s natural to gravitate toward things that are familiar, things that are comforting, people who know us and understand our circumstances.
Personally and professionally, we are all facing lots of change these days and we hope that on a professional basis, we can help alleviate some of the anxiety and uncertainties happening now with some new and changed member benefits:
- Starting this month, we are bringing our Educational Forums to you online. We have six great topics planned for the summer and will be extending the number of forums to extend throughout the year. Register now for our first forum on May 21st – “Adapting your Business Practices for Tomorrow” and stay tuned for information on future forums.
- We are continuing our free networking calls to enable members to share ideas and information. Upcoming calls will cover topics including “Making your Experience Matter”, “Policy Changes Post COVID-19”, and “Become an Indispensable Resource”. If there is a topic you would like to see covered, please let us know!
- Looking for assistance to renew your ACCED-I membership? Let us help! If you would like to renew now and secure your membership for the coming year before budget cuts are implemented, we can help. Contact Sandy Brock with any questions or to request an invoice. Additionally, we have created a new resource to make the case for renewing your membership with your supervisor. Check it out on our website.
- Do you know a colleague that has recently been laid off due to budget cuts caused by COVID-19? We have created a “Gap Membership” to keep these colleagues in the network and in the loop. Direct them to our website or contact Devin Shelby for more information.
- Finally, our COVID-19 Resource Page is constantly being updated with the latest information on dealing with the pandemic and moving forward in the fall. The Communities of Practice are very busy now with conversations and questions from your peers, and the e-library has seen many new and helpful documents uploaded – all resources to help you be the best in today’s changing environment.
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – we’re here for you. To help you, support you, and encourage you during this difficult time. Let us know how we can help, we are your Association – help us to be the best possible professional resource for you.
With best regards,
Karen L. Nedbal is Executive Director of ACCED-I. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (970) 449-4960.